Minnesota Divorce FAQs

Get your questions answered about divorce in Minnesota
Contact Divorce Lawyer Kay Snyder

How do I file a divorce complaint?

The Petition for Dissolution of Marriage is a form you must file with the court clerk (the location varies based on your jurisdiction).

What forms do I need to file for divorce?

When you begin the filing process, you will need to file a Summons and Petition for Dissolution of Marriage, which your spouse must answer. If both spouses agree on settling all issues in the divorce, they can sign a Joint Petition for Divorce.

What evidence do I need to garner for divorce in Minnesota?

Minnesota is a no-fault divorce state. You must show that the marriage is irrevocably broken. If your spouse contests this, you may be obligated to enter mediation or go to trial.


Is it possible to get divorced without a lawyer?

While some couples find that they can end their divorce amicably without a lawyer, the entire process can rarely be completed without complaint. Most find that having a lawyer to represent their interests leads to more favorable outcomes in divorce proceedings.


Can I get spousal support?

Spousal support obligations follow a highly complex formula that considers the duration of the marriage, the “way of life” throughout the marriage, financial considerations for both parties, educational discrepancies attained during marital years, age, and many other factors. If any of these factors put you at a disadvantage compared to your spouse, you may be eligible for spousal support.

When can I file for divorce in Minnesota?

Minnesota law requires you to reside in Minnesota for 180 days prior to filing for divorce.


Get your divorce and family law questions answered quickly. Contact the area’s best attorney today.
  • Contested Divorce
  • Uncontested Divorce
  • Collaborative Divorce
  • Custody
  • Parenting Time
  • Child Support
  • Property and Debt Division
  • Spousal Maintenance
  • Post-Decree Motions
  • Motion to Modify Custody
  • Motion to Modify Parenting Time
  • Motion to Move out of State
  • Motion to Modify Child Support
  • Motion to Modify Spousal Maintenance
  • Contempt of Court
  • Paternity
  • Prenuptial Agreements
  • Adoption
  • Grandparent Rights
  • Trials and Court Hearings
  • Divorce and Family Law Appeals